Sunday, September 11, 2011

    This is the maiden voyage for my new blog, Forest House Farm,  hopefully it will live longer than some of my earlier attempts! I will be blogging about whatever is going on here on our homestead including garden updates as well as foraging reports. Today ended up being a great foraging day. Ann and I had gone to check how ripe the nanny berries were and made a little side trip to look for acorns. There were not many acorns dropping yet but we found some really nice mushrooms including chicken of the woods, oyster, and lions mane. Ann is going to make mushroom soup with the oyster {nom nom}and dry the chicken of the woods. The lion mane was too old to use.
    On a earlier note, the nanny  berries are starting to ripen. Ann makes a wonderful banana less banana bread using a nanny berry puree instead of the bananas. It's definitely the best use we have found for the nanny berries. Add some wild hazel nuts or butternuts and would be a foragers delight!
   All for now, hope to get this whipped into shape over the next couple of weeks. My goal is to present info here on our plans for next years CSA and foraging gardens and workshops. I hope to get lots of input from any potential customers out there in the Rib Lake,WI area. Come on people, talk to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment