Sunday, December 4, 2011

How to be self sufficient



Our son, Dane, with trophy size potatoes.
  A big goal in my life since the Y2K scare back in 2000 has been to be really self sufficient. We have a big garden, about a half acre, and raise chickens, hogs, goats, and cattle. We are off grid, heat and cook with wood cut on our property. We do occasionally use a propane stove in the summer to keep from heating up the cabin but my wife is a excellent campfire cook so a lot of meals are cooked outside in the summer. I loath waiting for my coffee in the morning so I often put the perk on the propane stove to get it done sooner but I suppose I could survive without that if I had to!
   So what else can we do to be more self sufficient? We are big bread eaters so raising our own wheat is on the agenda for next year. We raised our own grain corn this year which was a partial success but has room for improvement.Sunflowers, the oil type, are also planned for next year. We use lard from the hogs for some of our needs but don't have enough usually so we want to try extracting our own cooking oil.
  We are still far short of our electrical generating needs. We have a chest freezer for the meat we raise and a clothes washer at my wife's son's house. These are two big power users that I have not figured out how to do away with.  Clothes washing is a big job on the homestead and even with the washing machine it uses a lot of my wife's time. The freezer provides the means of preserving hundreds of pounds of meat , fruit, and veggies that it would be hard to preserve quickly otherwise. We are trying to can more but we already can a couple hundred jars a year. We are also trying to eat more seasonally but we have five months of winter here. Our growing season is only about 90 days. We use a root cellar for a lot of produce too. More on this subject  as the winter goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment