Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rice Harvest

Just a short post, we have started the annual wild rice harvest so I won't have much time to write for a few days. The rice is just beginning to fall nicely and it looks like it will be a good season. We are concentrating on one flowage for now. I could tell you which one but what fun would that be!? The water level could be a bit higher for better access but I can live with what we got. It is frustrating to see heavy, thick rice that is in water too shallow for our canoe though. Be back soon, the rice is calling.

3 comments:

  1. How long is the rice-harvesting season, usually?

    I don't think it grows down south by us, but need to do more scouting around.

    Happy harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there probably is rice in your area. It needs flowing water, either a river or a flowage. I expect the season to last another 7-10 days barring any real severe weather. Also,depends on how many people show up to harvest rice but the rice ripens from the bottom of the head up, a few more kernels each day so you can go through a bed several times. Last year a lot of rice got flattened by extremely high winds in this area just before season started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you happen to have any close-up pictures of the wild rice.


    I introduced some last year to my area, and never having harvested it before, I am unsure of how it looks up close. On the whole, they look quite similar to your picture on August 8th.

    So if you happened to have a close-up of a strand, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete