Monday, October 29, 2012

One New Arrival

Here is Sam, one of two recent additions to our homestead. Sam came to us from a local auction that Ann went to. With the extremely high hay prices in our area due to the drought, 'hobby' type animals are not worth much at auction. Ann bought this little guy for $10.00! While he is no show animal and does have some conformation problems, he was to nice to pass up. He is very docile, leads well, picks up his feet, and trailers easily. He is only two years old, so has a long life in front of him. The grand kids all approved.
A pony cart is now on the shopping list as well as a saddle for him. He carried his own hay back to the cabin with two bags set over his back. I think he will easily earn his keep around here.
I finally got my elder flower wine bottled one day last week. It needs a little time in the cellar to mellow out now but should be good by Yule. I'll be testing it at any rate! Not quite as good as last years but I think it will improve as it ages. Since we robbed the bees last week I can now start a batch of mead.

Here is a shot of our late afternoon sky a week or so ago. I heard that they had a bad dust storm out in the Dakotas which causes the cool color here. Bad for them, scenic for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment