Sunday, September 16, 2012

Stick Fence

Here on some pics of a cheap way  to build a temporary fence.This one was built for some ducks we were given. It consist of nothing more than alder poles pushed into the ground and some used twine from baled hay. It actually lasted over three years in usable condition. I had planned to try a taller version for a goat fence but never got time to do that.

Here are all the tools that were used to build it. This was a few years ago and it was not so dry.I simply punched a hole for each stick with the metal bar and then laced the tops and bottoms of the stick together. It is so dry this year it would be a lot harder to make the holes. I did not worry about making the sticks a uniform length when I was gathering them. After I had the fence all laced together I went back and trimmed them up evenly. With the high price of fencing materials I plan on using this method to make a larger run for our laying hens. They are a heavy breed so it shouldn't have to be to high to keep them in. Willow would probably work better since it is usually straighter that these alder were but the alder was handy and I wanted to clear the area out some anyway.


                                    Here are a couple other views.

Harvest season is in full swing here so I haven't had much time for writing. We are picking black walnuts this week. We picked more acorns last week. I also found a few bitternut hickory so we will try pressing those for oil later on.








No comments:

Post a Comment