Friday, November 30, 2012

More Hand Hewn Beams

There has been lots of interest in my previous post about hand hewn beams so when I started my latest project I took lots of pics. This first one just shows how I cut down to the chalk line to get a flat surface. If you haven't read the old post I start out by using a spirit level to mark each end after stabilizing the log, then chalk a line down each side connecting the level marks. I came up with a better method of holding the log steady while marking it. It is imperative that the log does not move while it is being marked.
I made three of these. I nailed a pair of them onto blocks of firewood to raise the log up to a comfortable working height while marking and sawing. I use the third one to stabilize the log while I am chipping down to my mark with the adz. They are quick and easy to make and really work well. If you do make them keep the nails straight up and down or they will bend when you slam the log down to stabilize it.

Here is a pic that shows the log on the holder. They made keeping the log steady while marking and cutting easy. I needed six beams for  floor joist on this project so it was well worth the few minutes it took to make them. I just used a common nail for the holding spikes but a hard nail would probably be better as these bend if they hit a knot. I did slam the log down pretty good to make sure it didn't move.



Since this shed is being built on a pair of recycled power line poles I didn't need the other side to be flat other than where they set onto the poles.I flipped the log over after flattening one side and marked another line parallel to the flattened sign. I checked the small end of each log to establish a minimum thickness that all my logs could meet. In my case that was four inches.  Sometimes logs will warp after one side has been chipped off. There is not much to do about it but chipping off the opposite side might help. I had one warp but I just made another and will use the warped one for something else.
Here is another view of the notches I put on the bottom.
And here a couple pics of the one log I needed square on one side. I used a carpenters square to mark a right angle on both ends. I made the chalk mark down the top first and then made the square mark and then connected the marks on the bottom.
I then turned the log on it's side and sawed down to the marks the same as the first side. This one came out with a slight twist. This is usually caused buy the chalk line being off somehow ;either because the end level lines don't match because something moved, or the chalk line was thrown off by hitting some obstruction such as a knot that protrudes. Regardless of the cause it is a problem that can be corrected. After figuring out which side is off and where it is off, chalk another line to straighten it up and rechip it to the new line.

                                       
If you don't have a chain saw you can use whatever you have. I used this bow saw for some of my cuts.






No comments:

Post a Comment