Thursday, January 10, 2013

DIY Snow Shoe Bindings

We don't have much snow yet but we always try to pack down trails as the snow accumulates. The bindings on my shoes gave up last year so when I dug them out this year of course they still needed new bindings. I have tried several different styles of bindings over the years but for me the ones shown in the pic are hard to beat. They are easy to put on, don't loosen as you are walking, and are easy to take off. When you add in the fact that they didn't cost me a penny because they are homemade, I don't know how you can come up with anything better. I did buy the nylon rope they are attached to the shoe with. I only used 4 feet of the 50 foot piece though so it wasn't much of a investment. The no cost part hinges on getting the industrial size tire inner tube the bindings are made from for free. Since a damaged tube is perfectly fine for this purpose it is not hard to get one free or very cheap.I ask my tire shop for one while I was there having new tires put on the family van and they were happy to let me take my pick from a pile of damaged inner tubes they had. These inner tubes are about a eighth of an inch thick. A car or light truck tube is not thick enough, it needs to be from a large farm tractor or construction equipment.
 Here is the pattern for a multi size binding. It can be made bigger or smaller depending on which of the sets of holes are used to lace it together.The little hole to the left is for pulling it over the heel of your boot, the next big hole is where your foot goes in. At the far right end is the portion that forms the bottom of the binding.That part folds under at the indented area and then laces to the "wings in the middle.

Start lacing it together with a foot long piece of some type of durable twine or light rope. I used the middle set of holes which will fit a size 14 leather work shoe. For pac boots I would go with the farthest out set of holes.



Fold the wide front part under, tuck the edge of it in until you can line up with the same set of holes on the center "wings'.Pull your line through those holes and tie it off.




Now do the other side the same way.






Use the same line to tie your binding to the shoe.





Push toe in through the big center hole, grab the tab with the little hole and stretch it back over the heel of your boot.
 I tried to figure out how to include a full size template for this but I haven't figured out how to do that. If anyone has a idea of how to do that leave me a comment or email me. I can measure it and give anyone who is interest those. Just email me and ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment