Wednesday, February 6, 2013

DIY Box Trap

We are over run with snow shoe hares here this year as well as a lot of cottontail rabbits. I have only seen a few coyote tracks and no other predators seem to be in the area to take advantage of this bumper crop of bunnies. Since both of these rodents will present a problem for my orchard and my wild berry patches I will have to take the predator job for a while. Both of my adversaries can out run me and hide better than me. My solution, in part, is using these box traps. Buying box traps is an expensive proposition so here's my DIY version.
Here is a sketch of how the trap works. The tin can you  see in the top picture contains what ever bait you want to use. It hangs from the top of the cage and is able to swing front to back. Looped around that is another wire[yellow] which holds the door open until your victim enters and wiggles the bait can. This allows the door,which is spring loaded to snap shut. The little kink in the top wire is to enable adjusting the length slightly if needed. You could just leave the end of the wire the door sets on straight.

I like this loop on the end because it slides easier to let the door snap shut. I use the coil springs from a rat trap for my door springs.  I use heavy cage wire since it makes the trap more versatile as far as what I can use it for. This trap will work fine for almost any small critters except raccoon, they would simply eat the bait and then lift up the door and leave, smart and strong! Mink,weasel or skunk could all be caught in it though as well as rabbit and squirrel. Local law would determine which, if any, of these you could trap.
 Here is a view looking in the door which might help a little. The door should overlap the opening on all sides and fit tight along all edges when shut. Make sure to smooth the edges of the door opening since you will be reaching in to put in bait and to set it. This trap is 91/2 inches high by 9 inches wide by 24 inches long. I bend as many joints as I can and fasten every thing together with either cage clips or small pig rings. If you don't have those you could just wire it together too.

No comments:

Post a Comment