Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Old Saw

 While I like old tools and enjoy restoring them to usefulness, I'm not about to give up my chainsaw for cutting firewood. This is a old crosscut saw I cleaned up and sharpened last week during our snow storm. I want to give it a try soon but not on standing timber. I thought a  log   would be a safer place to practice. Now I just have to convince Ann that this will be fun since it is a two man saw, or should I say two person?  I have several other old crosscut saws but all the others had pitting from rust that was to deep. Out of a half dozen handles these two were the only ones that are still in usable condition. They are not actually a pair but it is all I have.Using these old hand tools give you a peek into your ancestors lives. I remember the first time I used a scythe to cut off a small patch of weeds. Talk about a work out! I have two scythes now and have learned to adjust them to my height and to sharpen them but they still bring on a sweat in about 45 seconds. Those old timers were some tough birds. I will probably hang this saw on the wall but first I want to at least learn how to use it.I will probably never need to cut my firewood with it but I want to know I can if I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment