Saturday, March 31, 2012

Warre Hive

 A busy week here on the homestead. Last week end we got Ann's new cow and I had to do a little remodeling in the milking stall. Sissy has settled in fairly well now and Bella is happy to have company. A cow from a herd gets lonesome without  another cow around her so it is nice to have two now. (see previous post) My next job was building these Warre hives for the bees we have coming next week. We had a lot of old standard commercial hive boxes that we had been using but after the bear trashed our hives two years ago we got sort of discouraged. We ended up selling all of those hive boxes so when we decided to get bees again this year it was a problem. I decided to go with the Warre type hive as it matches our management style much better. I put up a link under "Sites I Think Are Worth Your Time" ( top one) but it is not quite right. It will take you to the right site if you follow it through. The free pdf. download will give you the entire plan for building the hives plus a ton of info about managing the hive,etc.  I have to add handles, sand, and paint these yet before the bees get here. I made four hive boxes for each hive. As soon as I get these done I have to get to work and build what hopefully will be a bear proof enclosure for the hives. Picture high voltage!

No comments:

Post a Comment