Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Homemade Cream Cheese

 Getting a second cow is starting to have benefits. Although her mastitis seems to be clearing up we are still only using her milk to feed our steer calf. That frees up more of Bella's milk for us to use. This week Ann made cream cheese. It  is yummy! Ann said it was Swiss style cream cheese but I'm not sure how it differs    from some other style of cream cheese. We have a large supply of butter canned so we are good there. Now we will see what kind of cheeses we can make at home. I am working on a cheese press which Ann will need for several kinds of cheese. I think all of the hard cheeses which are better keepers are pressed cheeses.I made two molds for the press, one from a small stainless steel stock pot and another smaller one from a stainless steel coffee press. I used a die grinder to cut the bottoms and handles off leaving a smooth cylinder. Then I drilled small drain holes all around it. The larger should make about a three pound cheese and the other about a pound or pound and a half. I'll get some pics on when I get more done on the press.


No comments:

Post a Comment