Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hoary Comma Butterfly

I try to carry my camera most of the time I am at home. Yesterday as I was walking back from the garden this beauty seemed to want it's picture taken so I obliged. I am fairly certain this is a Hoary Comma. If so, it is on the edge of it's range being a more northern and eastern species. It was on the cool side and it seemed to be trying to warm up a little. Usually commas are flighty and sit with their wings closed. I never did see the color of this ones outer wings so I am not positive about my ID.

We are not into the survivalist thing but we do look at several sites on facebook that are survivalist sites. We find useful info there on occasion and sometimes they are very amusing. Ann saw these fire starters and since we go camping sometimes thought they might be handy. They are simply a paper egg carton filled with wood shavings and covered with paraffin wax. You only use the bottom part of the carton.  To use them you just rip off one section and light it. I went further and tried out this magnesium fire starter. I didn't use the magnesium, just the striker part. I fluffed out a cotton ball on top of the egg carton and scraped sparks onto it using the flint edge and the little piece of hacksaw blade that comes with it. Cotton balls catch the spark quickly and they burst into flame. This started the egg carton,wood chip,wax combo burning. It burned hot enough and long enough to start a camp fire even with slightly damp wood. Don't know how much we will ever use them but will add the knowledge to the"nice to know" category.

No comments:

Post a Comment