Thursday, May 17, 2012

Delicious or Deadly

The False Morel, Gyromitra brunnea, has caused deaths in Europe yet is eaten in parts of the U.S. with no apparent bad effects. It is known that the toxin in the False Morel stays in the body and can build up to a deadly dose if enough mushrooms are eaten. It does not really resemble a true morel that much. It has wrinkles and folds rather than the pits found on morels. We found this bunch which was quite large while picking Ostrich fern last week. For my part I am not eating any mushroom that "might" kill me! As with all wild mushrooms, if you are not 100%, absolutely  positive as to the ID of a mushroom, DO NOT EAT IT. Hopefully we will find some edible mushrooms one of these days and show you some pics of them. Mean while ,Ann just told me we have more baby goats in the barn plus we brought home another calf last night  and we have baby chickens coming tomorrow. I guess I'd better get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment