Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Swamp Salifrage

This early spring edible, Swamp Salifrage, Saxifraga pensylvanica, is found in swamps and other wet areas. I didn't know it as a edible before reading Samuel Thayer's first book, The Forager's Harvest. That is also the name on his website. While the leaves are edible with cooking I agree with Mr. Thayer that they are not very palatable. The crispy flower stalk does make a great trail side snack though.I found this one and about a dozen more along side the ditch in our local national forest. It seems to be fairly common but the flower stalk is only available in the spring of course.
The thing that always amazes me after I learn about a new plant,is that I was not even aware that it existed in many cases. My wife and I do a lot of foraging for edible and medicinal plants and we live in the woods. One would think that we would know every single plant that grew in our area but we are constantly finding things we have never seen before. Last year after hearing about a plant called winter berry we went looking for it in a area with the right type of habitat. This was about 100 feet from our cabin. We found a dozen or more winter berry plants! I am sure I had never noticed this plant before despite living here for 23 years.  Really LOOK around and you will be amazed at the diversity and abundance of the natural world.
Add caption



Winter Berry

No comments:

Post a Comment