Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Apple Tree Grafting

My grafting experience this year went fairly well, producing twelve new fruit trees at a cost of $25.00, the approximate cost of one tree at the nursery. The grafting stock was  from limbs I pruned out of my older trees during their annual spring pruning. I stored the limbs in damp sphagnum moss in my root cellar until I was ready to graft them.I bought 25 root stocks but only had enough scion wood to make twenty grafts. Of those twenty grafts, twelve took. Of the remaining eight that I tried to graft but failed,  seven sent shoots up from the roots. These, plus the five I didn't use, will be planted in the orchard and grafted on to next spring.  The root stock was all EMLA 26 apple rootstock from Raintree Nursery (www.raintreenursery.com).I went together with others to buy a larger quantity for a better price but prices are reasonable for even small amounts.  In the pic, ungrafted root stock on the left, growing grafts in the center, bad grafts that sent up new shoots on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment