Saturday, June 2, 2012

Dead Squash

 This is a tiger swallowtail, Pterourus glaucus, feeding on chive blossoms. There are a lot of them around this year and unlike a lot of other butterflies, they sit long enough for me to get a pic! I have seen a lot of butterflies earlier than normal this year which I suppose is because of the warm weather in March. As usual, Wisconsin weather is making life interesting. The weather forecasters predicted frost overnight  Wendsday so we spent a hour covering any thing that might be damaged. The actual low temp. here turned out to be 41 degrees F. There were not any frost predictions on the same channels Thursday and the low temp. was predicted to be 43 F., so needless to say, we did not cover anything. As you can guess, that was a mistake. There was enough frost to kill all of our squash  transplants. They seem to be the only thing that got it so I guess I shouldn't complain. Our green beans are up and they are not very frost tolerant either. I do have part of a flat of squash that were still in the green house so we will have some to set out. I am not sure if the peas, which are blossoming, were effected. Fortunately, the strawberries, which are starting to ripen, don't seem to be hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment