Sunday, July 8, 2012

Grape Vines

Despite several late frost it looks like my new grape vines will provide enough grapes for at least a small batch of wine this year. This vine is only three years old so I am happy it is doing so well. If you know anything about how grape vines are supposed to be trained you will know from this pic that I haven't done very well at it. I started out with good intentions but time did it's thing to my schedule and well, you know how it goes. I am not to concerned as I have grown grapes for years without the benefit of pruning. It is true that properly pruned grapes produce bigger ,fuller, clusters. I guess I am just willing to except what I get without pruning. These are all a concord type grape as that is about the only type reliable here in zone 3. Some are clones from a vine my Dad planted 40-50 years ago. I'm not sure where he got it but it is certainly hardy enough for our climate. I've also started a couple of other cultivars from a nursery. I will have to see if they survive when we get a hard winter. There seemed to be a lot of die back
this winter and it was fairly mild.                                  
Here is a pic of wild blueberries starting to ripen. Unfortunately the wild turkeys seem to enjoy them and I'm not sure how many we will get before they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment