Saturday, December 8, 2012

Llama and Alpaca Fence

I have been plug'in away at getting a enclosure done near our cabin. Ann wanted to have the llamas and alpacas closer than their former area which was a 1/2 mile walk. We were lucky at a auction earlier this year and bought several rolls of wire at a good price so I had most of the materials. I did cut some black ash posts for my corners. This is two strand twisted wire, not barbed. I stretched it as tightly as I could and ran six strands. I managed to come up with enough steel "t" posts for most of the line posts. I plan on adding a hot wire yet so the critters
don't get in the habit of pushing between the wires to get the greener grass on the other side! Here is a pic of the old corral. It was made entirely with poles we cut on the site. It gave good service for over six years so I have no complaints. We added the orange bale twine when we had goat kids in it and they would just walk right through. I will be salvaging whatever I can for fire wood. The new fence is in a different area so I will tear this down and then build a new fence around this area.

This pic is along the other side. This is the edge of a old railroad bed. It was tough going to get the post driven in. I need to add a few post between the ones I have in. They will be used to maintain the wire spacing. This pen will be used for llamas,alpacas and our pony. There are a few mature trees I will protect by putting some light wire netting around them to prevent chewing on the bark. Some of the smaller trees I will leave and see what happens. The alder and willow brush will get pulled out next spring. I will frost seed some clover yet this year.
Ann reassuring the critters after the move. They all lead well so that is how she brought them back to the cabin. All of them like carrots so that is our treat of choice. We will only leave the halters on until every one is comfortable with their new pen. If we did have to catch someone it is nice to have a halter to grab on to. They get their hay outside unless the weather is nasty. They have a nice snug shed to get into if they want to and we feed them there in bad weather.

Another pic of the critters. They all get along although there is a definite preference for the company of their own kind. Alpacas stay with the other alpacas and llamas do the same. Our pony , Sam, tries to be nice and groom the alpacas as he would another horse but the alpacas don't appreciate it!





3 comments:

  1. :-) Sounds like Sam needs another pony pal to groom! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fence. Great quilt. Wow! So many pieces!

    Fences Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy many years to come … playing tetherball, like the good old days … with your best friends in the whole wide world. Sigh. wooden gates

    ReplyDelete